Sunday, April 10, 2011

These Is My Words by Nancy E. Turner

Rating: 4/5

Warning: This book contains disturbing images of death and murder, death and murder of children (too many), rape, stillbirth, miscarriage, racial tension, and gratuitous violence.

 Nancy E. Turner's story chronicals the life of Sarah Agnes Prine. The book is written in journal format and covers the years 1881-1901 in the Arizona Territory. I read the book for my local library reading group; I don't think it's a title I would have chosen on my own. At first I wasn't sure quite what to think of this text; the beginning is dark and sad.Sarah is a young girl who yearns for education. She travels with her family through Indian territory to Texas and back again until the family finally homesteads land around Tucson Arizona. Sarah encounters hardships of every kind. Profound sadness and powerful love. Sarah's journey from destitute waif to prosperous settler resonates with adventure and romance.

My favorite character is charismatic Captain Jack Elliott. Jack leads the wagon train from Texas to Arizona and just keeps popping up in Sarah's life. Jack's courage, humor, and sensitivity endear him to readers. Don't tell my husband but I have a crush on Jack Elliott!

Sarah occasionally visits the rough and tumble metropolis of Tucson to pick up supplies. Occasionally she visits the Tucson train depot--I've been there. On a family excursion my husband and I located the home of an ancestor just a couple of block from the depot. My husband's family worked on the Rio Grande Railroad and were stationed in Tucson; they would have been there to greet Sarah (if she weren't fictitious).

Loved the story. Look forward to more from Nancy Turner.

No comments:

Post a Comment